Saturday, February 16, 2019

(Re-read) Book Review: The Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books #3)

A number of my most beloved books, are about books. To name a few; The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco and The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. But my favorite of the lot is Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series. The story is set in Barcelona in the early to the mid twentieth century, with a historical backdrop in turbulent times such as the Spanish Civil War and then General Franco's ultranationalists, fascist regime. It is a grand story about the lives of people who found themselves under the circumstances, it is a story of their struggles and loves. The series began with a stunner called The Shadow of the Wind, and it is followed by The Angel's Game, a fascinating meditation on the role of myths and the nature of beliefs. A couple of weeks ago I decided to revisit this series, and since then I have been loving the re-read experience. In the re-reads I discovered details which escaped my eyes previously, and I also came to appreciate the characters and the stories even more. My re-read has carried me to The Prisoner of Heaven, this is the third installment in the series, and it is also a direct sequel to The Shadow of the Wind.

Synopsis:

It was Christmas time and the year was 1957, white snow decorated Barcelona into a winter palace. For the Sempere family it was a time of joys and celebrations; Daniel and his wife Bea welcomed the arrival of a baby, while their best friend, Fermín Romero de Torres was finally tying the knot with a wonderful lady.

The mood of celebration, however,  evaporated on the day when a dark stranger stepped into the Sempere bookshop. This mysterious man brought with him a terrible old secret from the early days of General Franco's reign. The secret dragged Fermín and Daniel into a lethal game of exposing Barcelona's forbidden history, about a man known as the prisoner of heaven.

My thoughts about this book:

At 270 pages,
The Prisoner of Heaven is a lot shorter than its two predecessors. The quality of writing in this book is top notch, and it is on par with the previous books. However, having read this book for the second time, I now see The Prisoner of Heaven more as a bridge to connect the previous books to the future story rather than a stand alone novel. Mind you, I still like The Prisoner of Heaven, yet I cannot help but feel the book is unable to stand on its own and it should have been a part of the next installment. This is especially since the book finished with a cliff hanger and it is quite short.

The Prisoner of Heaven took place in two different timelines; one is set in 1959, the other is set in 1941. In the 1959 timeline, the book reunited the readers with Daniel and Fermin, each is a fantastic character in his own way. Along the duo also marked the return of our beloved support characters, such as Bea, Isaac, Señor Sempere, and Bernada. Meanwhile, the plot set in the 1941 timeline shed some lights into the mystery of David Martin and some of Fermin's past life, and it will answer some of the remaining questions from The Angel's Game. The characters who appeared in both timelines are memorable and likable. However I would say Fermin stole the show with his remarkable wits, and his roguish yet honorable character.

There is a shocking reveal in The Prisoner of Heaven. I am currently half way through The Labyrinth of the Spirits (the concluding installment in the series), and from the hindsight I can see how The Prisoner of Heaven connects the previous two installments with the fourth installment into a grand story, while also keeping them stand-alone books. It is almost as if the whole series is a maze with multiple entries, and one can choose to venture into the maze from any entrance yet still reaching the heart of the maze. The Cemetery of Forgotten Books is a stunning piece of literature with lovable characters, a compelling story, and intricate worldbuilding. I feel as if Zafon wrote these books for me, and this is telling me that these books are very close to my heart, and I believe there are many kindred spirits out there who feel the same. I highly recommend The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series.

Stay tuned, next time I will review the final book in the series, The Labyrinth of the Spirits, a whopping tome of 800 pages.




No comments:

Post a Comment