Saturday, February 23, 2019

Book Review: The Labyrinth of the Spirits, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books #4)


The enamouring story of The Cemetery of Forgotten Books concludes with The Labyrinth of the Spirits, this is the fourth installment in the series. I was dying to read this grand finale and the wait was excruciating, especially since the translation from Spanish into English took two years. The day the bookseller delivered the book to my doorstep I thought it was a trick. I opened the parcel and found a big book wrapped in a dust jacket as beautiful as it is inviting, it was almost as if the book was whispering into my ears: "Shall we begin"?

Synopsis:

In 1938, the Spanish Civil War took Alicia's parents from her and gave her an injury for life. Alicia was only nine years old. Twenty years later Alicia grew up to become a top investigator for Spain's secret police. Despite being good at her job, Alicia was weary and she wished to retire. Her boss, Leandro Montalvo, granted her retirement on one condition – she must solve the case about the strange disappearance of Spain's Minister of Culture, a man called Mauricio Valls.

Alicia travelled from Madrid to Barcelona with her partner, a big and experienced cop called Juan Manuel Vargras, to investigate this case. Their investigations uncovered a piece of bizarre but vital clue, a book called The Labyrinths of the Spirits, written by one Victor Mataix. The duo followed the clue and unearthed a terrifying secret tied to the Franco regime which also involved David Martin, Julian Carax, and the Sempere family.

My thoughts on this book:

The Labyrinth of the Spirits is a massive tome of 800 pages, but it reads like a piece of crime detective noir, fast-paced and thrilling. The book has numerous plots and sub-plots, but they are all connected to the central mystery, which was revealed one layer at a time like peeling off the onion skins. This is an intricate and beautiful story, you will want to loose yourself in this book and explore every corner of it. I was especially shocked and moved by the descriptions of life in Franco's regime. I mean, I have lived in the western world for the most of my life, and while in the western society there are a lot emphasis and stories about how communist states oppressed the life of its citizens, but there aren't many stories and emphasis about how the fascist regimes can be equally as oppressive. I wonder why? Perhaps it is because the West has made communism its only enemy so fascism is deemed more tolerable? But surely totalitarianism can go under any slogan, right? Anyway, I digress.

The book introduces a new protagonist, Alicia Gris, a femme fatale who wrestled with a wound she sustained from the Spanish Civil War, when she was still a little girl. Alicia's wound is both physical and emotional, and the book did an excellent job at translating how her wound shaped her into the person she was. I like Alicia, she and Fermin are my favorite characters in the series. Where Fermin has a good humour and roguish charms, Alicia is mysterious, seductive, but also subject to sympathy.

A host of characters appeared in this book alongside Alicia. Some characters, such as detective Vargras and Leandro, are new characters. These new characters are well fleshed out, I especially like Vargras, who is like a rugged bear, and his relationship dynamic to Alicia, one that bears resemblance to a father and and his daughter, was vividly portrayed. Meanwhile, many of our beloved characters from the previous entries returned in The Labyrinth of the Spirits; Daniel, Bea, Senor Sempere, Isaac, and of course, Fermin. This book continued their stories and then gave each a fitting conclusion. The book also rewarded the long time readers by finally revealing the fates of both David Martin and Julian Carax, who were the main characters in The Angel's Game and The Shadow of the Wind respectively. In other words, not only did The Labyrinth of the Spirits introduced a new protagonist and a new mystery, but it also tied up every story threads in the end, and the conclusion is beautiful yet bitter sweet. You will remember these characters long after you waved good bye to them.

The Labyrinth of the Spirits is the grand finale I have been waiting for, and it did not disappoint. In fact, the book exceeded my expectations. The Shadow of the Wind is my in my list of top 5 books of all time, and I like The Labyrinth of the Spirits as much as The Shadow of the Wind, so this is saying a lot about the love I have for this book. Now that I have read the entire series, I realized Zafon is a genius, because you can enter this literary maze from any book in the series, yet still reach the heart of it. I love this series. This is one I will revisit many times in the future.






No comments:

Post a Comment