Monday, December 28, 2015

Daniel's top 5 favorite movies of 2015

The end of 2015 is drawing near with every passing second. I have watched a few movies in 2015, but I did not write reviews for all of them due busyness of life. Just 3 days before the arrival of 2016, I sat down and chose 5 movies as my favorite movies of 2015. These movies are very popular so I suspect most people would have seen them already. Having said this, while these 5 movies may not be the "best" movies, but they are my favorite movies from 2015, mostly because I think they are re-watchable.

P.S. While this list is highly subjective (as, my subjective opinion) but I would recommend these movies if you haven't seen them already.

Without further delay, here is my list

Number 5:

Ex-Machina

Ex-Machina stands out as the most interesting movie I've seen in 2015. Through a story about humanoid robots possessing artificial intelligence, Ex-Machina explores a wide range of fascinating questions from existentialism, humanity, creator/creation, and Turing test. The special effects in this movie are stunning and realistic. If you have not seen Ex-Machina yet, then make sure you check it out.


Number 4:

Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road is one heck of an adrenaline rushing experience! This movie made minimal use of CGI. Instead, the film entranced its audiences in waves after waves of thrilling action scenes starring real cars and real explosions! This is something you don't see very often in movies these days. Furthermore, Mad Max: Fury Road moves at a relentless pace, the entire film feels like one giant action scene. Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron both did excellent jobs at portraying Max and Furiosa respectively. I purchased a copy of Fury Road on 3D blu ray. Since then, I have re-watched this movie 3 times already and I am still loving it!

Number 3:

The Martian

The Martian is adapted from a novel of the same name, written by Andy Weir. I read The Martian back in August and I loved every page of it! This is why, I exercised iron determination to watch the film adaptation when it came out in October. People tend to compare the movie against the novel. I think there are rooms for both versions to co-exist. Although I'd say I like the novel a bit more than the movie. However, the movie shines with its own brilliance with a great cast, starring Matt Damon who did an excellent job at portraying Mark Watney. Furthermore, Ridley Scott directed this movie and the cinematography was beautiful while the story is gripping and packed with good humors. The Martian is the best Ridley Scott movie to appear in the cinema in the past 5 years!

Number 2:

Inside Out

I wasn't sure what to expect when I first set my eyes upon Inside Out. This movie is a joint production from Disney and Pixar. Some say this is the best animation movie to appear in the cinema in years. I don't know if it is the best animation movie in years, but I do remember being deeply moved by this movie. The premise staging behind Inside Out is very clever, it is simply the most unique movie I've seen in a long time. This movie is loaded with good humors that will put smiles on your face and drawing out genuine laughter from your soul. The story also delivered a very beautiful, and very powerful message that grown ups can surely appreciate.

Number 1:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens:

The eagerly anticipated opening to the new Star Wars trilogy throws a heavy Force punch at a cinematic galaxy extending far, far away. The Force, is very strong with episode 7. I am pretty sure this movie is going to attract a new generation of Star Wars fans, turning them into faithful padawans. Meanwhile, an old Sith Lord such as I, am more than satisfied with episode 7. Although I did find JJ Abraham's over-abundant faith in the Death Star...disturbing... Nevertheless, episode 7 tells a gripping story featuring interesting, and likable characters. I foresee myself re-watching episode 7 many times in the future, and I shall be waiting for episode 8 to hit the cinema with a full blast of force lightning and then, everyone shall experience the full power of the dark side!



No comments:

Post a Comment