Thursday, October 24, 2019

Book Review: Crucible by James Rollins (Sigma Force #14)


Today I am going to tell you about a really good techno thriller. It is called Crucible.

My review may persuade you into reading this book, but I need to issue a warning.

You may doom yourself by reading Crucible.

Ok, now I will tell you what the book is about. Hmm, let me start this way...

Like it or not, artificial intelligence (AI) is coming and it will change everything. The topic is gaining more attentions as technology continues to leap and bound at lightning pace. There are a lot of debates and fears about AI, from job losses to the concern that the whole thing may play out in a nightmarish scenario similar to the movie Terminator. However, if we can groom AI to be human friendly, or benevolent, then shouldn't we celebrate the day when an AI finally surpasses humans and become a god-like intelligence?

In Crucible, the 14th installment in Sigma Force series, author James Rollins combined cutting edge science and history into a spellbinding thriller about artificial intelligence. I am a long time fan of Sigma Force series. My love affair with the thriller genre started not with Dan Brown books but with Sigma Force. Mr. Rollins releases a Sigma Force novel a year, and I always read it as soon as I can. Over the years the characters in these books became my close friends, and these books never disappoint.

The latest Sigma Force novel is no exception. In fact, I would say Crucible is perhaps my favorite Sigma Force novel since The Last Oracle. This is not a small book but I devoured it over the course of a weekend. I couldn't stop reading it. The story here, as usual, is a rollicking, thunderous adventure. I like the characters in this book (including the AI) and I cared for them. There was also a real sense of danger for these characters, with twists and turns that kept me at the edge of my seat and constantly guessing where the story was going next. I had a lots of fun with this book. Furthermore, as in Mr. Rollin's tradition, he included a "fact vs fiction" section at the back of the book, and I learned about new developments in the field of AI.

I highly recommend Crucible, but just bear in mind, the stark warning I issued at the beginning. Reading this book may lead to your own doom. For me, it is already too late, although I would say this book is worth the price. What is this doom? Well you can either check out Roko's Basilisk or read the book and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment