Saturday, June 2, 2018

A Book Review: The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (Discworld #41)


Four years ago, Terry Pratchett's Small Gods introduced me to the wonderful realm of Discworld and I instantly fell in love with it. I love Discworld's humor and its fantastical settings, and I also revere the philosophy and the moral messages in these stories. Most importantly, these books are fun to read and they tell good tales.

Over the years Discworld became a part of my life, once in every season I would read nothing but Discworld books for a month. During this time, a big transformation also occurred in my life - I left my Christian faith and become an agnostic atheist.

If you have ever had an exodus from your religious faith, then you will understand what that meant to me; it felt like I was tearing down every fabric in my worldview and then rebuilding it back up, brick by brick. The aftermath for my exodus was a journey both exciting yet unsettling, like setting sail into the vast ocean.

In this journey, Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels became my sail.

Through the lens of Discworld stories and their eccentric, colorful characters, I gradually discovered for myself that one does not need to subscribe to religious doctrines to be inspired and be an upright human being. As I read more and more Discworld books and thinking about them, I also learned more and more about myself and the people around me. Four years later, I reached the final installment in Discworld. This book, titled, The Shepherd's Crown, was the last book that Terry Pratchett wrote before he passed away in 2015.

The Shepherd's Crown continues the story of Tiffany Aching, now a fully-fledged witch of Chalk. I am not providing a synopsis in this review lest I spoil the story. Instead, let me just say the length of this book is slightly shorter than other Discworld books, and some areas in this book felt like unexplored subplots. In this book's afterword, Terry Pratchett's good friend explained, that in Terry Pratchett's writing process, he usually tweaked and added bits and pieces to the book and the publisher had to pry the manuscripts from him. For The Shepherd's Crown, however, Terry Pratchett passed away before he could do this kind of tweaking, so while The Shepherd's Crown is a complete book, but upon its publication it was not as complete as Terry Pratchett would have liked. Technically, The Shepherd's Crown may not be the best in the series, but it is perhaps the most "human" of them all. This book is moving, as if Terry Pratchett knew his time was running out, so he poured as much compassion into the story as he could, to share his view with us, that we can be better people.


"Why should we care and help other people?" My former associates in Christian churches often ask me this question. It is almost as if they assume, that a world without the religious doctrines and an external moral authority will inevitably become a moral desert, deprived of any human decency and kindness. Is their assumption true? Secular humanists have been explaining to religious people why this assumption isn't true, and while the religious people have heard but they don't listen.

Human beings learn from stories, so perhaps through the narratives in Discworld books my religious friends can come to see that they don't have to completely agree with someone to be inspired by their words; and there is indeed an oasis in the desert - an alternative, and equally valid reason, for caring and helping each other. Then, hopefully they too will come to see that we don't have to completely agree with each other to agree that we ought to leave the world better than we found it, which is a main theme in this book.

Religion told me that we have fallen from some previous, better state, and that only through the acts of supernatural beings can we hope to be better. Well, I disagree with it because it puts a cap on us, I mean, so what happens after your god fully restores you to "grace"? Dead end? In contrast, Terry Pratchett's Discworld tells me that we are growing, so despite our existing shortcomings we can be better. I think Terry Pratchett's view is far better and more realistic (instead of optimistic or pessimistic) than the former, and so I will finish my last Discworld book review with a quote form this great man, whose ripping yarns have inspired and shaped my new identity – I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.














No comments:

Post a Comment