Saturday, December 2, 2017

A Book Review: Unquiet Spirits - Whisky, Ghosts, and Murder by Bonnie MacBird (A Sherlock Holmes Adventure #2)

Two weeks ago, I came upon a book at my local library. The book's cover arrested my attentions; it was white, depecting a faceless man attired in the fashion of the Victorian era. Its title read, "Unquiet Spirits: Whisky, Ghosts, Murder", written by one Bonnie MacBird. A closer inspection at the book revealed it is a pastichie for Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes? I like Sherlocl Holmes. I have never heard of Bonnie MacBird. Yet, I was in the mood for murder mysteries and detective stories. I borrowed the book with no idea of what to expect of it. With the book in my hand, I curled up on my bed and opened it to the first page.

The story opened in December, 1889. Sherlock Holmes just returned to 221B Baker Street after he debunked the "ghostly" hound of Dartmoor. Before boredom found Holmes, a beautiful client came knocking at his door, who then proceeded to narrate a macabre tale of ghosts, kidnappings, and dynamites, all happened at a whisky state in Scotland. Meanwhile, brother Mycroft charged Holmes with an urgent assignment in Southern France, which also concerned the whisky productions. Could there be a connection between the two cases? The clues send Watson and Holmes on an arduous journey, from the sunshine-filled hotels of Southern France, to a haunted estate in the snowy highlands. Along the way, the heroic duo would encounter treacherous rivals, as well as investigating a deadly vendetta rooted in the ghosts of the past. It was to be a journey of whisky, ghosts, and murder. 

Hang on a minute, does Sherlock Holmes believe in ghosts?

What an intriguing premise! Sherlock Holmes, a most rational thinker, meets a claim of the supernatural! From chapter one, this book drew me in. I could not put it down and I read its 500 page contents in 3 sittings. This is a second time I am reading a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, and this book feels like an authentic Sherlock Holmes adventure. The author, Bonnie MacBird, narrated the story in a style very similar to Arthur Conan Doyle. However, where the pacing in the original Sherlock Holmes novels were uneven, Unquiet Spirits told its story at a smooth and exciting pace. This book gave time for its mysteries to develop, but its narratives also sped up and intensified for the actions. The plot was masterfully executed, with many twists and turns waiting to surprise its reader. Furthermore, this book also captured, vividly, the dynamics and the tensions in Watson and Holmes' friendship. In some ways, I like Unquiet Spirits more than the canonical Sherlock Holmes novels.

I don't usually assign a rating to a book in my review. If I were to rate this book, however, then it would easily be 5 out of 5. This book gave me a pleasant surprise. This is why I like visiting the library and just borrow random novels that catch my eyes; among the dusty tomes sitting on the shelf, you never know what exciting adventure is waiting to be discovered. For my next reading adventure, I am tracking down another book in this series titled, "Art in the Blood". Meanwhile, I highly recommend Unquiet Spirits to my fellow readers, especially to those who are fond of Sherlock Holmes and detective fictions.





No comments:

Post a Comment