Friday, December 23, 2016

NOT EVEN WRONG? - Regarding my review for How Jesus Became God



I posted my review for How Jesus Became God on my own facebook page, and it generated a discussion both interesting and fruitful.

During the discussion, my Christian friend raised many objections to the points I raised in the book review. One objection stood out to me, and it was regarding this point:

Me: "With the way you are defending and reinterpreting the Bible, if the Bible is wrong, then can you know it is wrong?"

So what was the objection? My Christian friend wrote:

Quote: 'When you say, "I think Christians usually interpret the Bible this way..." and then a few paragraphs down say, "With the way YOU are reinterpreting and defending the Bible..." you're assuming things about my beliefs and approaches to scripture that you have no basis for assuming.

I think this is a fair protest! Why? This is indeed my own observation (based on induction) and I have not talked to every Christian in the world. Perhaps there are some Christians out there who are approaching the Bible/Christianity differently, so if the Bible/Christianity is wrong then they can know it is wrong. 

But here is the thing, in order to Christians to falsify my point, they need to demonstrate what is this approach to the scripture/Christianity, that in the case when the Bible/Christianity really is wrong, they can know it is wrong.

The objection raised my curiosity, if my observation is incorrect then I want to know. (By the way, aren't you glad to know that my statement is falsifiable? Isn't falsifiability a good thing? Just a thought, you know?)

Therefore, if you are a Christian and you are reading my blog, then I invite you to a question:

If the Bible/Christianity is wrong, then how will you know it is wrong?


P.S.

1) I am NOT asking, “if your approach to the Bible/Christianity is wrong, then how will you know it is wrong”. Instead, I am asking, "what will make you stop believing Christianity?" Please take a note on this.

2) Some Christians (such as John Lennox) have said, if the body of Jesus is discovered (bones that belong to Jesus), then they will concede their faith is false. However, since we do not know the anatomical/biological features of Jesus, so there doesn't seem to be a feasible way to know if a pile of bone belong to Jesus. In other words, Christians need to demonstrate, how they will know a pile of bone belongs to Jesus. If they cannot demonstrate this, then they are just being evasive; they might must just as well say "nothing will ever make me stop believing in Christianity". My friend wrote a very good article titled, "The Body of Jesus Discovered!", where he discussed this issue in detail. The article can be found here:

http://www.skepticink.com/reasonablyfaithless/2014/01/12/body-of-jesus-discovered/



No comments:

Post a Comment