Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Book Review: To Rescue Tanelorn by Michael Moorcock (Elric of Melnibone #2)

Today's fantasy fictions mostly consist of two sub-genres; High fantasy and Sword and Sorcery. What is the main difference between these two? High fantasy, such as The Lord of the Rings, often tell stories about good versus evil. These are stories about moral absolutes, grounded in a dichotomous worldview about right and wrong.

Sword and Sorcery on the other hand, differs from high fantasy by telling stories lacking a clear definition between good and evil. Instead, Sword and Sorcery yarns mostly feature grey characters who face personal struggles instead of fighting in wars about good versus evil. Speaking from my personal observation, I speculate people who are attracted to Sword and Sorcery, are the kind of people who are more interested in ambiguity, realism (not to be confused with reality) and the philosophy of human conditions.

As an avid fantasy reader and a lover of this genre, I prefer Sword and Sorcery to high fantasy. In fact, if the genre is only represented by high fantasy, I probably would have disliked fantasy altogether. One of the most memorable character in Sword and Sorcery literature, is Michael Moorcock's invention, Elric of Melnibone, first published in 1962. Almost 50 years after Elric's birth, publisher Del Rey republished the entire Elric saga in 6 volumes. These books follow the saga's publication dates instead of the chronological order for Elric's life. This means the story of Elric actually ended in volume 1, The Stealer of Souls. In volume 2, titled To Rescue Tanelorn, it collects stories featuring Elric's earlier life (I know, this is a very strange way to publish a series of books).

In my previous review for The Stealer of Souls, I briefly shared why I thought The Stealer of Souls is both a good book and a monumental turning point in the history of fantasy fictions. This week, I read To Rescue Tanelorn, and I would like to share my opinions about it in a review.

Synopsis:

Elric of Melnibone, a frail, doomed warrior king, wanders the earth in exile. Accompanied by his cursed and vampiric sword, Stormbringer, Elric seek the meaning for his existence; what is his purpose in the cosmic struggle between law and chaos? However, the result of his metaphysical quest is as barren as a fruitless desert tree. There is only one place in multiverse where may offer Elric peace and tranquility... The fabled city of Tanelorn.

My thoughts on this book:

To Rescue Tanelorn collects a mixture of stories, and some stories are not about Elric at all. In fact, Elric made appearances in only 4 stories out of 14 stories in this book. So what are the other 10 non-Elric stories about? These 10 non-Elric stories introduced readers to Michael Moorcock's theme of “Eternal Champion” and “multiverse”.

What are these?

Ok, let me provide a brief explanation. Basically, in Michael Moorcock's fictional universe(s), there exists the multiverse, but a cosmic struggle for balance, between law and order (AKA stasis and entropy), rages in each and every universe within the multiverse. An entity known as “Eternal Champion” is the key, a central intervention to this cosmic struggle and he incarnates in every universe. This means, Elric is just one of the incarnations of Eternal Champion in the multiverse, while he and “other incarnations” from other universes are essentially one and the same entity (i.e. they are many but one).

Other than Elric, Michael Moorcock authored about 70 books, featuring other characters who, like Elric, are incarnations of Eternal Champion (such as Corum, Hawkmoon etc..). The theme of “Eternal Champion and multiverse” is a bit complex, but it is very interesting. It is interesting because instead of a typical “good versus evil” theme, Eternal Champion cycle feature a cosmos balance between order and chaos.

Having said this, I must say I found To Rescue Tanelorn less enjoyable than The Stealer of Souls. Firstly, the stories in this book vary in quality, where some are better than the others. Secondly, this book presents a collection of stories disjointedly. For example, one story would feature an incarnation of Eternal Champion in ancient Greece, then the next one will suddenly be set in the 20th century. I think this is a direct result of Del Rey's decision to present these stories in the order of their publication dates, instead of linking them together in the chronological order of Elric's life. This means, as a new comer to Elric Saga, Del Reys' presentation confused me greatly. Therefore, for those who are interested in exploring Elric Saga, I recommend starting from White Wolf Anthology, a 2-volume set published by White Wolf Publishing. This set presents the saga in the chronological order of Elric's life (details for these 2 books can be found in my review for The Stealer of Souls).

However, for those who like Elric saga, To Rescue Tanelorn is still a valuable book to read. This book paves the way for readers to broaden their understanding of Moorcock's theme about multiverse. If you read this book, it will help you to better appreciate other Elric stories, especially the ones following this book. I can testify to this, because as I am writing this review, I have already finished reading the next book, The Sleeping Sorceress, and I accredit my immense enjoyment of it to To Rescue Tanelorn, because this book established my understanding of Moorcock's overarching theme.

In other words, while I did not like To Rescue Tanelorn as much as other Elric books, but I think this is a good “special features” book providing valuable insight into Moorcock's works. In my next review, I will share my thoughts on the next installment in Elric saga, titled The Sleeping Sorceress. Until then, happy reading.





2 comments:

  1. I inherited the love of the barbarian book character The Weird White Wolf from my elder brother who had the whole collection of Elric of Melnibone books with his blood and soul drinking sword storm-bringer, all of Michael Moorcock's books this particular series are really odd and I enjoyed reading the one I read,and yes I knew it represented the sort of Druidic image unfavourable to many however as a child I still enjoyed the whole doom morbidity of the sole lonely warrior who carries with him an anathema that everyone stays away from or avoids.

    I think the most transfixing and weirdly compelling book of Elric of Melnibone series is the Sailor Of The Seas Of Fate in which Elric encounters two beings a brother and a sister from another world who were spellbound to a green liquid who also fed on the life forces, it was great reading.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I inherited the love of the barbarian book character The Weird White Wolf from my elder brother who had the whole collection of Elric of Melnibone books with his blood and soul drinking sword storm-bringer, of all the Michael Moorcock's books this particular series are really odd and I enjoyed reading the one I read,and yes I knew it represented the sort of Druidic image unfavourable to many however as a child I still enjoyed the whole doom morbidity of the sole lonely warrior who carries with him an anathema that everyone stays away from or avoids.

    I think the most transfixing and weirdly compelling book of Elric of Melnibone series is the Sailor Of The Seas Of Fate in which Elric encounters two beings a brother and a sister from another world who were spellbound to a green liquid who also fed on the life forces, it was great reading.

    ReplyDelete