Saturday, January 10, 2015

Book Review: Sanctus by Simon Toyne (Sancti trilogy #1)

Before I go on to share what I am about to say, I must declare I love reading religious thrillers. With this declaration, you should be able to understand, why I have an interest in the below question. The question is this:

“Why are religious thriller novels so popular in the 21th century?”

Take a look around, there are hundreds of “Dan Brownish” thrillers on the market. I suppose it could be fair to say, Dan Brown is the one who started this trend. But when Angels and Demons, the first Dan Brown novel, was published in 2000, it did not attract the eyes of the public audience. This is very strange, because I think Angels and Demons is as good as (if not better than) The Da Vinci Code. However, I observed his second book, The Da Vinci Code (and the genre of religious thriller in general), seems to have gained the status of stardom after the tragic event of 911. Perhaps there is a connection here?

In 1980s and 1990s, thriller novels like Tom Clancy's books were very popular. Clancy's books were mostly political thrillers (such as Jack Ryan series), that reflected the political clime in that era. i.e. the Cold War. It was a time when the fragile politics between superpowers could trigger a global crisis at any time, affecting the lives of ordinary people.

But in 2001, it all changed. The world watched in horror, as terrorism, inspired by religious extremism, drove two aeroplanes into World Trade Centre in suicidal attacks. All of the sudden, a new type of danger emerged to threaten the lives of ordinary people. It is not a threat caused by one nation against another nation. Instead, it is a threat coming from people (who can be anyone) who dedicated themselves to intolerant, religious fanaticism. And this type of threat could arrive at our front doors at anytime. Today, we are still living under the shadow of such terrors.

I theorize, the increasing popularity of religious thrillers in the popular culture, somewhat reflects the awakening of the general public, to the threats associated with religious fundamentalism. Of course, my theory could be wrong. Nevertheless, the rise of religious thrillers in the 21th century really is an interesting phenomenon. Don't you think?

Anyway, I only mentioned the above for interest's sake. I am not writing an article to analyze the rise of religious thrillers in the popular culture. Today, however, I would like to review a religious thriller novel I read recently. This book, is called Sanctus, written by British author Simon Toyne. This is a very good novel. Many reviewers have compared this book to Dan Brown's novels, but I think such a comparison doesn't do justice to Sanctus. Either way, I hope this long introduction has ignited in you, some sparks of interest in religious thrillers. Now, without further delay, allow me to start this review, by providing a synopsis for this book.

Synopsis:

A conspiracy, three thousands years in the making, is about to surface and tear the modern world apart. On a blue, sunny day, a man threw himself to death, leaping off from the roof of Citadel, an ancient religious fortress located at the city of Ruin in Turkey. This event was broadcast with extensive media coverage, the entire world witnessed this suicide. But only a handful of people could spot the symbolic meaning behind this act.

This tragic event drew together the lives of Kathyrn Mann and her son, who are charity workers, and Liv Adamsen, a crime reporter from New York. They began a journey to revelation, what they are about to uncover will change everything...

What I think about this book:

I think Sanctus tells a very unique story. I say this for two reasons: Firstly, unlike most religious/conspiracy thrillers, Sanctus threw a supernatural twist into the story. Secondly, most novels in this genre take place at real historical locations, with real religious organizations. The story in Sanctus, however, took place in a fictional city, and the story revolves around a fictional, religious order. This is why, I think Sanctus brought something new to this genre. Furthermore, by telling a story about a fictional, religious order instead of a real one, Sanctus prepared a space for readers to enjoy the book, without having to encounter the feeling of discomfort due to their religious affiliations being mentioned directly in the book.

So what is the theme in Sanctus? Personally, I believe the main theme in this book, is the origin of religion. Simon Toyne masterfully clothed this theme with a well written, fictional story. The pace of the story flows at a neck-breaking pace, and it is further enhanced by the excellent use of short chapters. At the same time, this book is suspenseful and gripping, because an esoteric atmosphere constantly shrouds the story. As the plot thickened, readers are bound to become more and more curious at the answer to the mystery. I particularly like how the author only revealed the truth behind the mystery, at the end of the book. When I reached the last 100 pages of this book, I couldn't stop reading it, because I just had to find out the answer to the final puzzle in the book. When the answer to the mystery was finally revealed, it blew my mind away, because it was totally unexpected.

I also consider the characterization in this book, to be superior to most books in this genre. From protagonists to antagonists, the story explored every character's view point, with a very good use of POV styled narration. While the characters in this book can appear one dimensional sometimes, but they are depicted as characters having their own, individual personalities. Furthermore, in this book, readers can see how events in the story impacted the characters. In other words, unlike most books in this genre where character development is usually lacking, in Sanctus, the presence of character development can be felt.

The author executed the plot in Sanctus brilliantly. Details and plot lines meshed together perfectly upon the arrival at every milestone in the story. There are no plot holes (I couldn't detect any). The supernatural twist in Sanctus, is one of the most intriguing features of the story. Throughout the story, the supernatural element was mostly hinted but not promised. This method of storytelling created a vision for a story with many possibilities, motivating the readers to continue and read the next page. I won't spoil what the supernatural twist is, but let me just say, from the hind sight, I realized the whole idea of Sanctus is very well conceived and carefully planned, and the author's depth of imagination impressed me.

My opinion of Sanctus is extremely positive, but in this book, the “voice of character” bothered me a little bit. Let me explain. The story of Sanctus is supposed to have taken place in Turkey, but I thought in this book, the Turkish characters spoke like Americans during the dialogues. I am not sure the reason behind the author's choice of character voicing. But for me, it reduced the feeling that the story was taking place in Turkey. Instead, at times, it felt like the story was happening in America.

I would say Sanctus is one of the better religious thrillers I've read. It offers a fast-paced, unique story that gripped its reader with a grand mystery. The climax of the story will blow your mind away, setting up an introduction to a promising sequel, titled The Key. In the meantime, I recommend Sanctus to those who enjoy reading fast-paced, religious/conspiracy thrillers.













No comments:

Post a Comment