Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Book Review: The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson (The Mistborn Book 2 and 3)


  Since its publication, The Mistborn trilogy has been well received by readers, and gained a strong fan base. The trilogy's author, Brandon Sanderson, has become a prolific author in the genre of fantasy fiction. Last week, I read and reviewed the first book in this trilogy, The Final Empire. Since then, I have read the second and the third book, and finished this trilogy. They are titled “The Well of Ascension”, and “The Hero of Ages” respectively. Today, I will like to review these 2 books.


Synopsis:

At the end of the first book, The Final Empire, Kelsier, Vinh and their crew managed to defeat the tyrannical Lord Ruler, bringing the oppressive regime of the Final Empire to an end. In this new era, Elend, a good natured, young scholar with high ideals, was elected to be the new king at the capital city of the empire. He brought equality between nobility and skaas, while giving the power of government to back to the people.

However, with Lord Ruler removed, more and more problems spawned across the land. Numerous political uprisings caused civil wars and upheavals plagued the empire. Yet, unstable politics and civil wars were not the only problems, while Vinh and Elend labored to keep peace in the capital city, the mists began to behave strangely. Rumors emerged where people were getting killed or sickened by the mists. Every event seem to be leading to, and converging at the mysterious well of ascension, where the fate of the world rests upon the prophecy about the hero of ages.

What I think about these books:

I have mixed feelings about these 2 books and the trilogy in general. On the positive side, I think the mechanics behind these books are excellent; the worldbuilding is masterfully blended into the story, featuring a very interesting, unique magic system, the writings are clear and descriptive, and the plot advanced at a very good pace. It is very hard to find fault in the mechanics behind these books. I never felt bored when I was reading these books.

However, at the same time, I didn't really connect, or identify with the characters in the story. This means for me, reading The Mistborn trilogy was a strange experience. On the one hand, I thought these books were well written and interesting. But on the other hand, I didn't feel involved in the story, because I didn't really care about the characters, so while I thought was reading an interesting story, but I also felt detached from the story emotionally. For example, there are 2 protagonists in this trilogy, Vinh and Elend, who also happen to be romantically involved with each other. Vinh's character, is a young woman with a past haunted by painful memories, while Elend, is a good-hearted young man with high ideals, always trying to do the right thing. From my perspective, I found Vinh's character a bit annoying, and I thought Elend's character was a bit unrealistic, he seems.. too good? It seems this trilogy is mostly targeting at fans of YA, dystopian novels such as Hunger Games or Divergent, so maybe it's just me, but I guess I am just not the audience this trilogy is targeting at.

These books also explored some thought-provoking themes. I recall I once read an article, where it mentioned Brandon Sanderson's religious background is Mormon. It seems to me Sanderson, based on his religious background, blended some interesting themes into these books, such as; the definition of faith, the question of morality, and the idea that power corrupts. Nonetheless, because I couldn't really identify with the characters in the story, so these themes did not have great impacts on me. However, I guess for the large number of Mistborn fans, these books may prove to be both thoughtful and entertaining.

After reading The Mistborn trilogy, I can see why Brandon Sanderson is an author accredited with high regards. He is capable of writing very good books. While The Mistborn may not be my cup of tea, but I do like Sanderson's style of writing, so I would like to read other books by Sanderson in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment