Saturday, August 10, 2013

Book Review: The Dark Tower Book 3: The Wastelands by Stephen King


Don't ask me silly questions

I won't play silly games

I'm just a simple choo choo train
And I'll always be the same.

I only want to race along
Beneath the bright blue sky
And be a happy choo choo train
Until the day I die. 

                                       - Stephen King, The Wastelands

The Wastelands, is the 3rd book to Stephen King's fantasy epic, The Dark Tower series. After finishing the first 2 books in the series, I was eager to find out the fate of Roland and his companions, so I ran straight into this book, and here is my review:




Synopsis:

The Wastelands, continues the story of Roland Deschain, the last Gunslinger, and his companions' quest to reach the dark tower. Following the events from "The Drawing of the Three", Roland assembled his small group, resuming his quest to find the Dark Tower.

Being pursued by The Ageless Stranger on their journey, Roland and his allies had to traverse a dangerous road to the ruined city of Lud, to find transports that will take them across the nightmarish, haunted wastelands. On this perilous journey, Roland began to understand the reason why he is being driven towards the Dark Tower..


What I think about the book:


In this book, the secret of the Dark Tower is finally being slowly revealed to readers. But most importantly, this is the best book in the series yet, very imaginative. I mean, where else can you find a story having: a post-apocalyptic world set in a parallel universe, elements from spaghetti western, flavors from Arthurian legend, and inspirations from The Lord of the Rings? 

Stephen King is very well known for his works on horror fictions. In this book, King has introduced elements from horror fictions, creating some memorable, heart pumping sequences.

The story arc developed as the heroes journeyed into a creepy, decaying city full of mutants, only to board a self-aware, criminally insane high-speed train. What a crazy tale! But do not be mistaken! This book is terrific! With the way things are looking, I eagerly looking forward to reading the next book. 

In the meantime, The Dark Tower is getting closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment