Saturday, January 30, 2016

A Book Review: The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins (Sigma Force #11)

A new Sigma Force novel recently arrived at my doorstep, and it has found a home on my bookshelf. The name of this book is called The Bone Labyrinth.

What is Sigma Force? This is a series of techno thriller novels written by best-selling author James Rollins, who blends science fiction and history/archeology together to create stories that will suck you in. If a Sigma Force novel is like a banquet, then this banquet serves the best of Isaac Asimov and Dan Brown for the main course, with Mission Impossible and Indiana Jones as appetizers and deserts.

If you have never read a Sigma Force novel but my descriptions interest you, then I recommend start reading the series from its beginning, a book titled Sandstorm. Meanwhile, today on Daniels' Corner Unlimitied, I wish to share my opinions about The Bone Labyrinth, which is the 11th installment in this series.

Synopsis:

The remote mountain of Croatia hides a key to unlock the secret buried in our DNA. This key surfaced into the daylight, when a team of archeologists uncovered a subterranean Catholic chapel. Sealed for centuries, this chapel provided a resting place for the bones of a neanderthal woman. Along her mortal remains sits elaborate cave paintings, depicting neanderthal tribes waging an epic battle against a group of unknown, monstrous creatures.

At the hour of the chapel's discovery, while the archeologists beheld the mysterious sight in the chapel, they were suddenly attacked by a group of shadowy assailants. At the same time, a primate research centre in Atlanta was also attacked. Could these attacks be mere coincidence?

Sigma Force was charged with the mission to investigate these attacks. This time, Sigma Force's search for the truth will unveil a forgotten history 50000 years in the making, tracing the evolution of human intelligence to its immemorial origin. In turn, Sigma Force finds themselves plunging heads first, into a violent, global struggle for humankind's future.

My thoughts about this book:

I like Sigma Force novels. I like these books very much. The day when I opened my first Sigma Force novel, it broadened and expanded the horizon of my reading world forever. It suffices to say, Sigma Force is the culprit for making me a fan of the thriller genre. This is why I always anticipate, eagerly, to read the latest installment in this series. One year ago, I heard about the news of the upcoming The Bone Labyrinth. When this book finally arrived at my home last week, I devoured the book in the short space of one weekend. The result? The Bone Labyrinth tells a story that reminds me why I like reading thrillers so much.

James Rollins writes compelling, fast-paced stories. His fascinating stories are fictional, constructed on hypothetical extensions from historical and scientific observations. The charm of Sigma Force novels, however, do not end here. These books often go beyond the territory of “entertaining thrillers”, and reaching into questions about ethics and morality. Indeed, Sigma Force novels has a quality not found in most thriller novels, where its stories are often thought-provoking and therefore moving tales.

The Bone Labyrinth is a classic Sigma Force novel, the kind of novel that fans of the series will appreciate. I would describe The Bone Labyrinth as Planet of the Apes meets The Da Vinci Code. This book tells a fast-paced story packed with actions, suspense and mystery. When I was reading this book, the story kept me at the edge of my seat. I had great difficulties at putting the book down because it was a page turner.

This book entertained me, but that was not all of it. The Bone Labyrinth also explores ethical and moral questions surrounding topics such as trans-humanism, eugenics, and animal experiments. As our technology and knowledge in genetic, and biomedical engineering continue to advance at a fast rate, these topics are gradually gaining relevance in our world, inviting discussions in the public square.

Should we, as a society, collectively decide to fundamentally alter and enhance who we are with our technology, invoking the next step of human evolution to create smarter, stronger, and faster descendants? What are the ethical and moral implications involved? Should such a day arrive, how will it impact humanity?

The Bone Labyrinth does not answer these question, but it invites its readers to think about these questions by journeying alongside the characters in this book. Speaking of characters, the characterization in this novel is superbly done. Our favorite characters from previous Sigma Force novels; commander Gray Pierce, Seichan, Monk, and Kowalski returned to play vital roles in the story. The story has two plot lines. The first plot follows the adventure of Gray Pierce and Seichan as they uncover the hidden evolutionary history behind human intelligence. I do not wish to say too much about the second plot. Let's just say it mostly follows the adventures of Kowalski as he struggled to protect his new friends from dire predicaments. Both plots are equally compelling, but I was especially fond of Kowalski's storyline, because it explored his character in details. In this book, Kowalski is no longer just the “tank” in Sigma Force team. This time, the story explored his inner thoughts and emotions, in turn flashing out his character.

The true star in this book, however, is a baby gorilla called Baako. Once again, I do not want to spoil the story so let me just say, Baako is the best, and the most memorable character in this book. He (if I may call Baako a he instead of it), is a very likable character who really grew on me. Baako's character compounded to the story's emotional impact, making The Bone Labyrinth a moving tale.

James Rollins gave The Bone Labyrinth a fitting conclusion. But it was a conclusion that hints of things to come. I cannot wait for the next Sigma Force novel to finally hit the bookstores so I can discover what the future holds for these characters. I felt a great sense of satisfaction when I returned this novel to the bookshelf. The Bone Labyrinth has everything I came to love about the thriller genre. It is an exciting and compelling story starring likable characters. The story is entertaining but also thought-provoking. I highly recommend The Bone Labyrinth to veterans of Sigma Force series. As for the newcomers to Sigma Force series, I recommend starting this series from its beginning, and I envy you because you are about to step into a world of exhilarating adventure for the first time.




No comments:

Post a Comment