Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Daniel's top 5 favorite movies of 2017

  2018 is waiting to greet us with a big hug. 

Huray! 

It is the time to list my top 5 favorite movies of 2017. A lot of interesting movies were released this year; some movies were really good, while some movies were outright terrible (yes, I am looking at you, Transformers 5). However, 2017 is also the year of divisive opinions, where the audiences were divided into either loving, or hating, some major blockbusters. For example, just look at all the talks surrounding Star Wars The Last Jedi; the critics love it, but the audience hate it.

Anyway, none of the movies on my top 5 list has caused divisive opinions. And so feel free to read on because there could be a few movies on this list that you haven't seen yet. If that is the case, then you might want to surf the wave of the holiday season and check them out.

As usual, I compiled this top 5 list based on my opinions. In other words, while these 5 movies may not be the most well made movies of 2017, but I chose them because every single film here has touched me in one way or another.

Without further delay, allow me to unveil the list.

Number 5:

Get Out 

Genre: Horror/Satire

Get Out is a horror movie without ghosts or monsters. "Huh? Do you mean, it is a thriller?" Well, I suppose this movie can also be categorized as a thriller. I don't want to give the story away, so let me just say in Get Out, a white girl takes her black boyfriend home to meet mom and dad, and then things became REALLY weird. Speaking of plot twists, Get Out was full of it. While I was watching this movie, every time I thought the story was going one way, it would suddenly do a plot 180 and take me by surprise. This movie was also packed with a healthy dose of suspense. The whole time, I was worrying for its protagonist. There was a real sense of danger in this wonderfully executed film. Furthermore, Get Out is also a social commentary and it is humorous! What is it commenting on? Well, check out this movie and see it for yourself.





Number 4:

IT

Genre: Horror/Drama

No cinematic experience can match the thrills of a good remake, of the most horrifying movie from your childhood. At the tender age of 10, I watched the 1990 TV adaptation of IT. The result? I developed a phobia of clowns and bathroom sinks, a fear that only went away when I turned 11. In 2016, the announcement came, about a new movie adaptation in the making, and it got me really excited.

On the day this movie came out, I bought the ticket and walked gingerly into the cinema to confront the nightmare from my childhood – Pennywise the Dancing Clown. This time around, however, the movie did not scare me at all and it was a blast! This movie, a true Stephen King adaptation, is an interesting mix between Stand By Me and Nightmare on Elm Street. The stars of this movie were the kids; it is a story about growing up and confronting your worst fear. While Pennywise was terrifying, but even if they remove the evil clown and so the movie was only about the kids, it would still be just as good. If you haven't seen IT, then make sure to check it out.

Number 3:

Logan

Genre: Superhero

Every good story must have an ending. The problem with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is that it doesn't end!

Therefore, out of all superhero movies that came out in the last 5 years, Logan is the most important of them all. Why? Because Logan gave us, the audience, something we deserve – an ending.

Hugh Jackman's performance in Logan is phenomenal. This movie, heart rending and emotional, is about redemption. It brought the story of Wolverine, a most beloved character in X-men, to a fitting and moving conclusion. There is a (very) slight pacing issue with this movie, but overall the actions were great, its characters were memorable. From the start to the finish, this movie was compelling. Logan is perhaps my favorite superhero movie just after The Dark Knight.



Number 2:

War for the Planet of the Apes

Genre: Science fiction

In 1968, a very influential movie graced the science fiction genre. Starring Charlton Heston, Planet of the Apes featured a mind-bending story about a planet, where the hierarchy between human and apes, were reversed; apes were in charge and humans were caged animals. To this day, Planet of the Apes remains one of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. But how did the apes become the dominant species on earth? Director Matt Reeve made a prequel trilogy to explore the origin for Planet of the Apes, and this is one of the most satisfying movie trilogy on the market.

This trilogy is about the story of Caesar, a charismatic leader of the apes. In War for the Planet of the Apes, Caesar's story arc came to a soul-stirring conclusion. The special effects in this movie were breathtaking. I would half-jokingly say, the apes in this movie looked more lively than the real apes! Some people have complained about the movie's slow pace and lack of actions. Well, despite its title "War" for the Planet of the Apes, this is actually a character driven story, not an action-packed war movie. For me, I love this movie because it is an emotional story about forgiveness, tolerance, and redemption. Now that the trilogy is completed, it occupies a seat in my list of top 10 movie trilogies of all time.

Number 1:

The Disaster Artist

Genre: Biography/Comedy/Drama

The Disaster Artist is a movie about the making of The Room, arguably the worst movie ever made. 

James Franco played Tommy Wiseau, and this is perhaps his best performance yet. The Disaster Artist didn't just make fun of Tommy Wiseau. Instead, this movie is about one man's determination to turn his dream, of making his own movie, become a reality (even if his movie turned into the worst movie ever made). Admittedly, I did not expect The Disaster Artist to be deep or meaningful prior to its release. However, when the credit started rolling on the silver screen, I realized this movie surpassed my expectations; it was funny, heartbreaking, but also inspiring. It stole the top spot on my list of favorite movies of 2017.





No comments:

Post a Comment