Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A Book Review: Temple by Matthew Reilly

Do you like a book with heart-pounding actions? Do you like Indiana Jones?

If you answer "yes" to both questions, then check out a novel called, Temple. This book, written by Australian author Matthew Reilly, is a page-turning thriller set in the green jungle of Peru. Temple was published in 1999, and it is one of the earliest entries in Matthew's bibliography. If I may add, Temple is also one of his best books.

Synopsis:

- A mystical, precious idol carved in the shape of a legendary creature.

- A temple, housing a sacred but ancient secret belonging to the Incan people, buried in the jungle of Peru.

- A diary, four centuries old, detailing the unbelievable yet harrowing adventure of a monk.

- A professor of language, forced into joining a strange expedition organized by the US army.

These four factors collide, unearthing a forgotten memory. In the process, unleashing the apocalypse!

My thoughts on this book:

I am a slow reader. I usually read 2 hours a day, and I can only read 50 pages in one hour. Temple is approximately 600 pages and it took me 3 days to read the first half of it.

But I devoured the second half of the book, 300 pages, in one afternoon.

I don't think "fast-paced" can adequately describe, the thrilling experience of reading Temple. No, this book is unputdownable and its pace "flies". As for the story, this one is a roller coaster ride. Just when you think the story is over, Matthew would surprise you with more tricks up his sleeve, and the plot suddenly does a 180 degree turn. This book borrowed some elements from Indiana Jones, and firing up the adventure with pages after pages of octane driven actions, all narrated in Matthew Reilly's trademark – writings and descriptions with a cinematic quality. It suffices to day, Temple is hella fun!

Matthew casted William Race, an unassuming language professor, to be the hero in the book. I think most readers would like William Race. For me, 20 pages into the book, I already rooted for him. I like William Race's character. He may be bookish, but William is also capable of diving into the actions, though reluctantly. The result is a somewhat comical but very admirable hero, one that stands out from the galore of fictional protagonists in mass paperback thrillers. I wonder if Matthew will write another novel about William Race's adventure. I hope he will, and I look forward to reading it.

The bottom line, Temple is a must read for fans of treasure hunt stories and Indiana Jones movies; you know who you are. If this is you, then check out this book. I bought this book for $1 at a second hand book fair, it was money well spent. But I would be willing to spend $20 for it, because Temple is damn good.


Until the next time, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment